We have an incredibly exciting opportunity to be part of our LGBTQ+ Community Centre project in London, opening as a six month pop-up in the heart of our capital city.
The pop-up space will be run as a pilot for our future bricks and mortar community centre. A unique opportunity to bring the London LGBTQ+ community together and provide an immediate tonic to the severe isolation our community has experienced throughout 2020 and 2021.
We are looking for volunteers to help us set up the space and, once open, support the Pop-up Centre Manager on a weekly basis.
It will offer you a great opportunity to be part of the opening of a space from scratch, be involved in all the logistics behind it and have an input as to how the space looks and feels.
And as part of the pop-up team once open, you will be the heart and soul of the space; from helping out with running the cafe to welcoming people.
The set-up will start on November 15th, every day, Monday to Sunday. A rota will be put in place for all volunteers to register their commitment.
Volunteer role description
Title: Pop-up Centre Volunteer
Accountable to: Pop-up Centre Manager, Project Manager
Key contacts: Pop-up Centre Manager, Project Manager, Trustees
Role purpose and core accountabilities
The pop-up space will be a multi-purpose centre including a café, a shop with merchandise from our own and community artists and organisations, and a communal space that will be used for activities, workshops, events and talks, among others. As part of the team behind the set-up and running of the pop-up, you will be involved in a wide range of tasks and responsibilities.
Your tasks will include:
- Space set-up: move furniture, liaise with suppliers, cleaning
- Work closely with the Centre Manager to make sure all tasks are completed and all visitors feel welcome
- Assist in managing the day-to-day operations of the café
- Assist in coordinating with vendors and order supplies, as needed (like takeaway cups, coffee, milk and other ingredients)
- Assist in managing merchandising shop
- Advise team on the best ways to resolve issues with clients and deliver excellent customer service
- Welcome people into the pop-up space
- Assist in coordinating with service provides and activities’ facilitators
- Take inquires
- Ensure all café, toilet and communal areas are clean and tidy
- Nurture friendly relationships with customers and community members to increase loyalty and brand reputation
- Ensure all H&S procedures, risk assessments, Covid protocols and fire safety procedures are adhered to
- Ensure the Centre’s ethos and Premises Licence is maintained and adhered to, as a sober and inclusive safe space
- Experience setting up or volunteering at a community space
- Work experience as Barista
- Hands-on experience with professional coffee machines
- Experience of till systems, stock control, and payment software
- Availability to work within opening hours (including weekends and holidays)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to manage and motivate a team
- Customer service attitude
- Community oriented
- Additional certification (e.g. in Business Administration or Hospitality) is a plus
- Meal expenses
- Be part of a community, make friends and build connections
- Be part of the set up and running of a community space in London
- Learn about the running of a community space and café, as well as of a larger project to open a permanent community centre
- Free merchandise
- Coffee making/Barista training delivered in partnership with Grind
Due to the nature of the space as a safe community haven, safeguarding training will be provided and DBS checks will be carried out.