We have an exciting opportunity for an HR Consultant to join us for 6 months (2 days per month) and support the growth of the Centre!
The London LGBTQ+ Community Centre is an award-winning charity launched by a team of volunteers in 2017.
Our mission is to provide London with a safe, sober, intersectional, intergenerational community centre and café where all LGBTQ+ people feel welcome and supported, can build connections, and flourish. Our vision is for a more connected, belonging and thriving LGBTQ+ community in London.
Who we’re looking for
The role will include all the things you would imagine for an organisation that is a start-up and is professionalising itself, particularly now that we have acquired charity status and wish to grow with intention and care.
This will suit someone who is currently a freelance HR consultant. Ideally, they will have experience of working with charities and understand the Volunteering function, as this will form part of the remit.
Most important to us is a breadth of HR experience and knowledge of employment law, past experience in strengthening HR policy, process and systems and a deep empathy for our cause.
Title: Freelance HR Consultant
Contract: 6 months (2 days per month)
Location: Remote and at the London LGBTQ+ Community Centre
Salary: £400 – 500 day rate
Length of employment: 6 months
Accountable to: General Manager
Key contacts: General Manager, LGBTQ+ Centre staff and Volunteers, Trustees (namely, our HR Trustee)
Role purpose and core accountabilities
- Carry out an audit of current systems and procedures (across HR and Volunteering)
- Review employee and volunteer handbooks and recommend improvements in line with legislation, as well as our culture and values
- Review all HR policies and recommend improvements, ensuring that all policies comply with charity and/or employment regulations
- Review our people management approach and recommend improvements (across HR and Volunteering)
- Support in developing new policies such as wellbeing policy, grievances and internal complaints policy
- Support with the recruitment of future roles
- Support the General Manager and Trustee (HR) with ad hoc requests
Role requirements and skills
- Deep HR experience, ideally as a consultant. Bonus: if you’ve worked in the charity sector and/or have experience of working with a Volunteering function
- Able to switch between both a strategic and operational approach in line with our purpose and values
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, share ideas in an accessible way and handle sensitive situations with tact and kindness
- Strong understanding of employment law, in particular its application in a charity context
- Able to manage time and prioritise effectively, this is a varied role where everyone will want your time (and be very happy to see you!)
- High integrity and to behave in accordance with our values
- An ability to manage confidential data (in line with GDPR)
How to apply
Please send a short covering letter and your CV to [email protected] by 5pm on Monday 28 August. Please include HR Consultant Application to your subject line.
Interviews will take place at the beginning of September, with the hope of them starting in late September.
We particularly welcome applications from trans, non-binary and POC candidates. We are a disability positive employer and we welcome the opportunity to provide reasonable adjustments as defined by the Equality Act 2010 during the interview process and upon appointment. Please inform us if you feel you meet this criteria.