Update: Thank you for applying to join us as a Centre Assistant.
We received a large number of applicants (more than we expected!), which means it’s taking us a bit longer to review submissions.
We aim to review all applications by Monday 2 October with interviews being held on Tuesday 10 October.
If you haven’t heard back by Monday 9 October, email us at [email protected].
We have an incredibly exciting opportunity to be part of the London LGBTQ+ Community Centre.
We are an award-winning registered charity launched by a team of volunteers in 2017.
Our mission is to provide London with a sober, intersectional, intergenerational, community centre and café where all LGBTQ+ people feel welcome and supported, can build connections, and flourish. Our vision is for a more connected, belonging and thriving LGBTQ+ community in London.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for a personable and community-driven Centre Assistant to join our team who will be working closely with our Centre Manager to make sure the Centre is a welcoming, warm and inclusive space for our community.
Title: Centre Assistant
Contract: 3 days per week (24 hours)
Location: London LGBTQ+ Community Centre
Salary: £24,000 full-time pa; pro rata
Length of employment: 1 year contract (likely to be renewed the following year)
Accountable to: Centre Manager
Key contacts: Centre Manager
- Work closely with the Centre Manager to make sure all tasks are completed and all visitors feel welcome
- Coordinate vendors and order supplies
- Take inquires
- Advise team on the best ways to resolve issues with clients and deliver excellent customer service
- Welcome people into the Centre
- Keep all café, toilet and communal areas are clean and tidy
- Ensure the Centre’s code of conduct is maintained and adhered to, as a sober and inclusive safer space
- Footfall and event attendance tracking
- Manage with hello@ inbox admin
- Outreach to service providers to update and expand signposting area at the Centre
- Lead the website update to mirror signposting area at the Centre
- Work closely with Events and Outreach Lead to come up with event opportunities arising from signposting relationships
- Work closely with Events and Outreach Lead to ensure smooth running of events at the Centre
- Work closely with Events and Outreach and Communications teams to manage bookings, cancellations and general event announcements and updates
- Taking care of picking up orders and shipping
- Supervise stock and liaise with shop suppliers
Requirements and skills
- An engaging, passionate, energetic human
- Someone who can work self-sufficiently and in a team environment
- Someone who understands community, and has experience of diverse LGBTQ+ communities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Availability to work within opening hours (including weekends and holidays)
- Understand the importance of practicing and applying excellent customer service in all that they do
- Cafe experience will be desirable
Due to the nature of the space as a safe community haven, Safeguarding training will be provided and DBS checks will be carried out.
How to apply
Please send a short covering letter and your CV to [email protected] by 5pm on Sunday September 10. Please include Centre Assistant Application in your subject line.
Interviews will take place during the week commencing Monday 18 September.
The successful candidate will be required to start the week commencing Monday 23 October, or as soon as possible.
We particularly welcome applications from trans, non-binary and POC candidates. We are a disability positive employer and we welcome the opportunity to provide reasonable adjustments as defined by the Equality Act 2010 during the recruitment, interview process and upon appointment. Please inform us if you feel you meet this criteria and if you would like to apply following a different process.
This role has been supported by The National Lottery Community Fund.